Awaji Art Circus (AAC) 2020
Open Call for Artists/Performers
1. AAC OBJECTIVE
Awaji Island, located in Hyogo Prefecture, is considered to be the Island of Japan’s Origin and is known for its beautiful natural surroundings and tasty food. However, in recent years, the island faces serious issues such as population outflow as well as decreasing birthrate and aging population.
- Based in Awaji Island, AAC has three distinct missions:
- One is to bring about increase in population flow and local economic consumption leading to regional vitalization whilst utilizing local resources.
- The other is to let the world know the appeals of Awaji Island and more broadly Japan. AAC aims to become a new local tourism attraction and attract people from within and outside of Awaji Island.
- Last but not least, to develop art and culture on Awaji Island and to create a chance for Japanese people to get to know international art of different genres.
- We ask all of you, talented international artists from around the world to:
- Stay in Awaji Island and entertain visitors with your performance at various locations on the island; as well as
- Experience and enjoy the appeals of Awaji Island and be the messenger as you spread the word about the island through SNS etc.
- Through AAC we aim to give opportunities for artists around the world to:
- express themselves as street performers: carry yourself equipment and props, prepare yourself performance place, perform - do your favorite job and receive fixed payment, not only busking (!!!).
- get to know Japan, gain new experience at a new place and interact with artists of various genres, as well as to contribute to fostering personnel in the field of art.
2. RECRUITMENT DETAILS
- Recruiting number of artists
Awaji Island, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
September 16 (Wed)～October 27 (Tue), 2020 (*dates may be changed due to the influence of new coronavirus)
*You should arrive in Kansai International Airport before or on Sep 16.
Participants have to:
- Perform (at the main venues, different events inside and outside Awaji Island, hotels, schools etc.):
- ①Number of workdays. Five workdays a week.
- ②Performance frequency. As a standard, performance frequency will be around two/three times a day. Exceptions may be allowed upon consideration by the organizer of AAC (hereinafter referred to as the Organizer).
- ③Performance duration. Depending on the event the Organizer will ask you to prepare different durations of performance: short show (3 minutes version and 5 minutes version) and full show (15 - 30 minutes, depending on your performance)
- Share information in social media. You will create posts and share information in social media (Facebook, Instagram, blog etc.) about Awaji Island and Festival based on your experience daily. Sometimes the Organizer will provide you the information you have to use in the posts or ask to share some posts.
- Participate in Grand Performance at Closing Ceremony which includes collaboration with local school, and in all related meetings and rehearsals.
- Lead a Workshop. Participants will lead a workshop of their discipline for local people
- Participate in the meetings held by the Organizer.
- Perform (at the main venues, different events inside and outside Awaji Island, hotels, schools etc.):
3. AAC 2020 OVERVIEW
Arrive by: September 16 (Wed), 2020
Orientation: September 17 (Thurs), 2020
Performance period: September 19 (Sat)～October 25 (Sun), 2020
Discussion and preparation for departure: October 26 (Mon), 2020
- Public locations on Awaji Island, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan. The feature of performance venues can be best described as ‘unusual spot’. The venues include park, café, tourism facility, square, foyer, roadside, cultural facility, school etc.
- Performance venue for each artist changes periodically.
- Most are in the open air and have only space to perform and no equipped stage and no well-equipped changing rooms.
- The floor varies from venue to venue (lawn, wood deck, concrete, asphalt etc.).
Artist shall adjust his/her performance to suit any venue.
Transportation between accommodation and performance venues will be via AAC bus or cars. Time on the road varies from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
4. SUPPORT PROVIDED
BY THE ORGANIZER
- Performance fee: 120,000 JPY for the whole period (the sum will be divided and paid in cash in JPY at the beginning and at the end of the period). This is the sum per person in case of a group.
- Prize Money for Contest Winners: Winner artist will get 300,000 JPY (The contest will be held at the Closing Ceremony and based on the public voting. All artists are expected to demonstrate 5 minutes version show).
- Busking opportunity (except some venues and events which will be announced by the Organizer)
- Transportation cost. We will cover your two-way economy class air ticket from your nearest airport to Kansai International Airport. Artist is expected to book and buy the airline tickets by himself/herself. The Organizer will reimburse travelling costs and pay in cash in JPY (the rate will be calculated on the day of payment) at the beginning of the Festival, based on the airline ticket information and boarding pass provided by the Artist.
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner will be provided by the Organizer. In addition, all artists will be given 500 JPY/per day in cash as Lunch costs.
- Support staff
- Traveler’s insurance
5. WHAT ELSE
WILL YOU GET?
- Become a member of Awaji Art Circus Family – heartwarming network of artists from various countries, genres and backgrounds. What does this mean? You will have jams, collaborations and family atmosphere throughout the Festival as well as supportive friends from all over the world who may become your lifetime buddies after the Festival! Since 2015, we have generated more than 130 Awaji Family Members, and the network will continue to grow!
- Stay right in the heart of Awaji Island`s nature, enjoying its incredible environment with breathtaking sceneries.
- Visit and perform in other regions of Japan, such as Tokyo, Tohoku, Okayama and more!!
- Get to know all the magic of Japan from inside, enjoy delicious traditional Japanese meals and traditional Japanese style accommodation.
- Go on free tours around Awaji Island, visiting its key touristic venues, including the historical and meaningful Izanagi Shrine, the magnificent Honpukuji Water Temple designed by architect Tadao Ando, the marvelous Naruto whirlpools and beautiful views from the roof of Wakodo-no Hiroba.
- Participate in free cultural workshops (Japanese drums, fukimodoshi (party horn) making, Japanese paper making, incense making and Awaji puppets).
- Enjoy interacting with local people. They will capture your hearts immediately, both adults and children.
- Take part in a grand creation process with locals and other AAC artists, and the resulting performance will be presented at one of the Special Events and the Closing Ceremony as a Grand Collaborative Performance.
Be a part of this incredible art journey that will surprise you every single day with its uniqueness!
6. CONDITIONS OF
To apply, you must meet all the following criteria:
- Open to artists of all performing arts genres such as: street performance, bodily expression, musical instrument performance, singing, live painting, dance, different circus disciplines (except all aerials acts, work with Chinese pole, tightrope walking, teeterboard, work with fire, performances which require perfectly flat surface) etc. Artists who are willing to break the barriers of existing genres as well as artists with interactive performance are welcome.
* Please note that high-end sound/lighting equipment cannot be provided.
- Non-Japanese citizens only.
- Open to all artists over 18 years old.
- Both professionals/amateurs are eligible.
- Groups (participating member shall be three maximum) and individuals are both welcome.
- Artists who can adjust their performance to suit any performance venue.
- Artists who can provide high quality of performance regardless of the number of audiences. * Awaji Island has few visitors on weekdays.
- Performance which is offensive to public order and morals, dangerous performance, performance with acts which cause inconvenience to a third party, performance which is unjustly cruel to animals, performance which uses motorcycle, performance which may be partial to certain religion/belief and performance with political assertion are not eligible.
- Artists who are willing to write about Awaji Island as well as their everyday experience and performance on Facebook, Instagram, personal blog, etc.
- Artists who are interested in Japan, Japanese culture and livelihood etc.
- Artists who are keen to participate in sightseeing tours, cultural experience programs etc. planned by the Organizer. *The Organizer will cover expenses for participation.
- Artists who are interested in regional vitalization, local economic development etc.
- Artists who can proactively communicate with other artists, local residents and visitors.
- Artists who can communicate in English.
- Previous years performers are welcome to apply on a regular basis.
*Items not defined in the Open Call shall be decided by the Organizer upon consultation with artists.
If you meet all aforementioned criteria and ready to contribute your energy to Awaji Island we are waiting for your application!!
7. ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply please fill in this Online Google form. Don’t forget to upload your performance photos and mention the link with the video of your performance.
About application video. Your video should be taken outside, it shouldn’t be too edited to understand the contents of the performance (especially if you use words in your performance). You should apply with the video where is the same number of people as in the application. (e.x. you shouldn’t send us video of 25 participants if you apply with 3). The video should be clear and impressive. Be aware that the quality of the video creates the image of your performance and that is the only information we have about you.
Applications must arrive by 11 PM (Japan Standard Time) on April 19 (Sun), 2020.
*Please note applications will not be accepted after the deadline under any circumstances.
9. SELECTION PROCESS
- First screening : Application material screening
- Deadline for application submission is 11 PM (Japan Standard Time) on April 19 (Sun), 2020.
- The results of the First Screening will be announced on May 15 (Fri), 2020 by mail.
The Organizer will go through application materials and decide on successful applicants of the First screening.
Successful applicants who will proceed to the Second Screening will receive also the date and time of the Skype Interview, which they have to approve.
- Second screening : Online interview
- Scheduled dates are may 25 (Mon) – May 29 (Fri), 2020.
- The Organizer will conduct the interview and decide participating artists of AAC 2020 upon consideration of the First and Second screening.
Successful applicants will be announced on June 5 (Fri), 2020.
10. SELECTION CRITERIA
- The originality, professionalism, sense of showmanship and suitability of the performance, given the Japanese audience (including children) and the Awaji Island environment. The performance video should be taken outside and shouldn’t be too edited to understand its contents.
- The transportability of the performance and its adaptability to a range of locations and conditions
- The motivation of the artists to participate in the Festival and their level of understanding of our goals and missions.
- The communicative skills and flexibility of the members.
Certificate of Eligibility required for obtaining visa will be issued by the Organizer and mailed to the artist, and in turn the artist shall go through the visa acquisition process at the embassy of his/her own country. The Organizer will cover the visa issuance fee in case the receipt is provided. Issuance expense for Certificate of Eligibility in Japan will be borne by the Organizer.
Awaji Island is an island with low population, and despite bus being the only means of public transportation, bus route as well as number of buses are limited. It takes 30 minutes to two hours even by bus to move between locations on the island. Transportation cost is minimum 1,500 yen one way to get out of Awaji Island. Places within walkable distance are limited (30 minutes-walk from accommodation to local supermarket). Dining out costs around 500 yen to 1,000 yen, and weekly grocery shopping costs around 5,000 yen. Fruits and vegetables are expensive (150 yen for an apple or tomato). Not much variety of dairy products.
13. CONTACT INFORMATION
Awaji Art Circus Executive Committee
You can download the full version of the Open Call of Awaji Art Circus 2020 below.
Awaji Art Circus 2020 Open Call
Would you like to know what is waiting for you during Awaji Art Circus?
Please check the video below!